Saturday, December 02, 2006

Christmas Post-1, Lemon Ricotta Biscuits




I've always thought lemons were a summer fruit, but its December and the grocery stores are selling lemons at throw away prices here in sunny Phoenix (today is quite chilly actually). Wait I lie, grocery stores WERE selling them at throw away prices the last time I went to one, which was before thanksgiving. Any case, the point I've been trying to get at is that I have a whole bunch of lemon that I'm finding fun ways to use. So, I was browsing through the pretty pictures of a Food network cookbook that I got as a bridal shower present and lo and behold, there was the perfect recipe, this posts namesake created by Giada de Laurentiis grandfather's mother (way too much information for me, but thought I should share the knowledge). I had everything for the recipe seemed like except for almond extract which was promptly substituted with vanilla and based on one devoured barely minutes ago, I can attest that they are absolutely DELISH. Super soft, flaky and melts in the mouth with a burst of lemony yumminess...goodbye boxed bake mixes.

So here's what you need:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk ricotta
1 tbsp fresh lemon zest (use 2 lemon)
1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 egg
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla (original recipe called for almond) extract
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Sprinkle of sugar for garnish

Method:

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with paper cups.
Mix all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and keep aside.
In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter, lemon rind till light and fluffy. Add ricotta cheese and continue beating till incorporated. Add egg, extract and lemon juice and beat for a minute or so till blended. Add the flour mix and beat till just mixed evenly. Spoon into each paper cup, sprinkle with almonds and sugar. Bake till light golden brown (~25 mins). Cool for 5 minutes. Delicious warm.










No comments: