Saturday, February 10, 2007

Buckwheat Crepes with Maple Syrup Bananas



I'm not a night person for that matter I dont even think I'm a morning person, I'm just a sleep person. Let me sleep from 8pm to 11am and I'll still have trouble waking up. Ergo, any and every incentive I get to rise and shine, I will take. A delicious breakfast usually goes a long way, the smell of dosas on the griddle, sambar and chutney, coffee... for more reasons than one it has to be my favorite meal, period. That's why The perfect start to your day Brunch by Simone Lloyd was a must buy. Having a ton of bananas and buckwheat flour lying around, I thought of trying out this recipe, and man oh man, was this yummy! The slight crunch and coarseness of the crepes beautifully complemented warm, sweet, mushy and slightly tangy bananas (and I don't even like the fruit!). This was as great a morning buzz as I could ever want.


You will need
1/3 heaped cup of buckwheat flour
1/3 heaped cup of all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp margarine
For maple syrup bananas
3tbsp margarine
3tbsp maple syrup
2 bananas thickly sliced diagonally
Sift both types of flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg, milk and water. Using a whisk, gradually mix the flour into the liquid ingredients, whisking well to get rid of any lumps, until you have a smooth batter.
Melt 2 tbsp of margarine in a small pan and stir into batter. Cover the bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
Melt half of the remaining margarine in medium sized skillet. When skillet is hot, pour in enough batter to make a thin crepe (I used one rounded spoonful), swirling the skillet to make an even layer.
Cook one side until lightly browned, then using a spatula, turn over and cook the other side. Slide onto a warmed plate and cover with foil while you cook the remaining crepes, adding more margarine when needed.
Maple Syrup bananas
In a small saucepan, melt margarine and pour in maple syrup. Soon after, add bananas and cook for about 5 minutes or until the bananas have just softened and sauce has caramelized. To serve, fold crepes in half and then top with bananas.
Melt a little margarine

No comments: